Eton College is one of the most sought after boarding school choices for boys in the UK, and I have recently been asked several times to compile a list of London schools that best prepare for entry to Eton College. Do keep in mind that some boarding prep schools are generally considered the more traditional feeders. Due to this, the below list will include boarding preps outside of London, which will help putting the numbers into context.
The below list contains 2020 numbers (or 2019 if no recent data available), to the extent that they have been published. Missing are Caldicott that has sent 37 boys to Eton College from from 2016 – 2020 and Papplewick that has sent “38 boys from 2015 to 2020“:
- Summerfields 17
- Sussex House 15
- Ludgrove 10
- Cothill House 9 in 2020, 8 in 2019
- Wetherby Prep 8 (10 in 2019)
- Westminster Under School 8 in 2019
- Westminster Cathedral Choir School 7 (5 in 2019)
- Arnold House School 4 in 2019
- Eaton House the Manor 4 (2019)
- Hill House 3 in 2020 (2 in 2019)
- Thomas’s London Day Schools 3 in 2020, 2 in 2019 (Thomas’s Battersea and Thomas’s Clapham combined)
- Dulwich Prep 1 in 2020 (6 in 2019)
- The Hall School, Hampstead 2 (9 in 2019)
- King’s House School, Richmond 2
- Newton Prep 1
- Northcote Lodge 1 in 2019
- Hereward House 1
Keep in mind that it is easier for larger schools to have a higher number of boys going on to Eton. It also doesn’t mean that you cannot get into Eton from other schools, as the entrance test weighs heavily in the admissions decision. It does help though to go to a school that has a track record of sending at least some boys to Eton, as this means the headmaster will have a relationship with Eton College and that boys might move on to boarding schools alongside their friends.
Outside of London, prep schools that commonly send boys to Eton at 13+ are Summerfields, Papplewick, Ludgrove, Dragon School, Shrewsbury House, and a wide range of others.
You may also be interested in the leading feeder schools to Westminster School.